Editorial Assistant—Joseph Smith Papers Project
The Church History Department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is looking for an editorial assistant to assist with The Joseph Smith Papers. This is a unique opportunity to learn about early LDS history, work with primary documents, significantly contribute to the project’s research and production processes, and acquire a variety of new skills relating to both print and web publishing. This is a benefited, full-time position that is contingent for one year. The start date for this position is dependent upon employee availability, preferably between October and December 2015.
• Copyediting and proofreading text.
• Applying project style with a high level of accuracy.
• Applying or correcting XML coding using XMetaL® Author Enterprise 5.
• Fact checking, or analyzing sources to determine whether they have been used appropriately.
• Checking quotations from original sources and comparing spelling, punctuation, and capitalization.
• Attentively assisting historians and editors in verifying transcriptions of historical manuscripts.
• Making and filing copies of sources.
• Organizing or compiling in-house research tools to assist project staff.
• Other tasks according to project needs and individual capabilities and interests.
• Bachelor’s degree in English, editing, or a related field.
• Practical experience in copyediting or proofreading.
• Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition).
• Experience with electronic publishing or programming languages (especially XML) preferred but not required.
• Ability to learn new software or databases.
• Ability to research in nineteenth-century sources.
• Knowledge of early LDS church history and a familiarity with Mormon sources a plus.
• Must be accurate, detail oriented, organized, and able to perform repetitive tasks.
• Must be able to manage time effectively and be dependable.
• Must be a critical thinker and have a natural curiosity.
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.
Qualified applicants will be required to take an editing test and a source checking test.
For more information about The Joseph Smith Papers, please go to josephsmithpapers.org.
To apply for the position, please fill out the online application at careers.ldschurch.org (Job ID 134123) and email both a resume and cover letter to Rachel Osborne at email@example.com by Friday, 16 October 2015.
ID 134244, Type: Full-Time – Temporary
UT-Salt Lake City
Posting Dates: 10/12/2015 – 12/31/2015
Job Family: Administrative
Department: Church History Department
The Church History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints seeks a research assistant to support historians studying the lives and records of Latter-day Saints in the first half of the twentieth century. This is a benefited, full-time position that is contingent for one year. The start date is dependent upon employee availability, preferably between November and December 2015.
· Preference will be given to candidates who have an M.A. in history or a related research field
· Demonstrable skill and experience researching in primary sources, preferably twentieth-century LDS sources
· Knowledge of Latter-day Saint history
· Ability to carry out research assignments, adhere to rigorous schedules and produce work of the highest professional standards
· Exhibit attention to detail, efficiency, flexibility, good interpersonal communications
· Commitment to the purpose of the Church History Department, namely to help God’s children make and keep sacred covenants by sharing a record of the Latter-day Saints
· Careful, thorough archival research in primary historical sources
· Systematic research in online databases
· Secondary reading
· Collaboration with historians
· Information management and organization
Worthiness Qualification: Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.
Posting Notice/More Info.
To apply, complete the online application at careers.ldschurch.org and email a resume and cover letter to Andrea Maxfield firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Note: All positions are subject to close without notice.
Find out more about the many benefits of Church Employment at http://ldschurch.jobs.