Posting Dates: 10/07/2019 – 10/21/2019
Job Family: Human Resources
Department: Church History Department
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Church History Library has established a process to digitize, describe, and provide online access to as many of its holdings as possible. Using metadata from paper and electronic indices, spreadsheets, and other files, we are attempting to identify people, places and events in the over twelve million pages of digitized published materials and archival collections. The Library is seeking a part-time (28 hrs/wk) intern to help transform and create this metadata, and to train volunteers involved in the digital asset identification process. We invite students or recent (within last 12 months) college graduates with career goals in the field of metadata and/or digital asset management to apply for this 1-year, paid internship.
- Learn how to use the Church History Library’s metadata enrichment tools.
- Train volunteers how to use the Library’s metadata enrichment tools.
- Assign and review volunteer metadata enrichment work.
- Reconcile and resolve problems or exceptions encountered in this process.
- Create and enhance training documentation for metadata projects.
- Consult on improving metadata enrichment tools and processes.
- Normalize and transform existing metadata in spreadsheets and other electronic documents.
- Participate with other library, archival, and product management professionals in improving library services.
- Improve professional skills relating to library, archives, and digital asset management.
- Improve personal knowledge of Church history.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in archival studies, library science, or history.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products, particularly Word and Excel.
- Excellent teaching and training skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Ability to read cursive handwriting.
- Supervisory or other leadership experience.
- Interest in, and basic knowledge of, Church history.
- Ability to learn new concepts and effectively prioritize tasks.
- Respect for confidentiality.
- Good communication skills and ability to thrive in a team environment.
- Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and worthy temple recommend holder.
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.
POSTING NOTICE/MORE INFO.
Please Note: All positions are subject to close without notice.
Find out more about the many benefits of Church Employment at http://careers.churchofjesuschrist.org.