Church History Library Intern
ID 120839, Type: Full-Time – Temporary
UT-Salt Lake City
Posting Dates: 11/20/2014 – 12/12/2014
Department: Church History Department
This is an intern position available at the Church History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. Must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program of a research related field or within one year of graduation.
Internship would potentially begin January 5, 2015. Incumbent would work up to 28 hours per week for up to one year. (Flexible during Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program for history, library science, family history, archival studies, English, or other information or research related field or within one year of graduation.
- Ability to follow directions, work well under time pressures, and work cooperatively in team settings and other collaborative situations.
- Works hard and is highly motivated; self-starter with the ability to work independently.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; strong ability to perceive and analyze problems; good research skills and ability to understand or to quickly learn to use several types of databases or software programs.
- Familiarity with PC computers; good understanding of basic computer software: MS Word, Excel, Outlook, databases.
- High level of typing accuracy and attention to detail.
- Possess good analytical skills that aid in solving problems in a positive and proactive manner.
- Anticipates problems and has the ability to bring about creative solutions.
- Willing to be teachable and desirous to learn.
- Upbeat and positive.
- Demonstrates a sense of ownership for problems and responsibilities.
- Good planning and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and carry critical projects to completion, effective time management.
- Interest in pursuing a career in a library or archives setting.
- Experience in basic Family History research and resources.
- Familiarity with MARC records and cataloging standards.
Assisting with database maintenance for the Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel website found at mormontrail.lds.org. Incumbent may also assist with reference questions and indexing Church magazines, as well as other periodicals containing articles with Mormon content. S/he will work under the direction of reference staff and will receive training and guidance from senior-level Church History Specialists.
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.
Posting Notice/More Info.
Please Note: All positions are subject to close without notice.
Find out more about the many benefits of Church Employment at http://ldschurch.jobs.