2016 MHA Award Winners
JI Permabloggers in BOLD
Leonard J. Arrington Award
- Michael Quinn
Best Book Award
- Paul Reeve, Religion of a Different Color: Race and the Mormon Struggle for Whiteness (New York: Oxford University Press, 2015). [See roundtable and response here.]
- Honorable Mention: Thomas Carter, Building Zion: The Material World of Mormon Settlement (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2015).
- Ronald Romig, Eighth Witness: The Biography of John Whitmer (Lamoni, IA: John Whitmer Books, 2015).
- Honorable Mention: Michael Hicks, The Mormon Tabernacle Choir: A Biography (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2015).
Best Documentary Editing/Bibliography:
- Royal Skousen and Robin Scott Jensen, eds. Revelations and Translations, Volume 3: Printer?s Manuscript of the Book of Mormon (Salt Lake City: Church Historian?s Press, 2015).
Best First Book:
- David Hall, A Faded Legacy: Amy Brown Lyman and Mormon Women?s Activism, 1872-1959 (Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 2015).
- Matthew Bowman, ?Toward a Catholic History of Mormonism,? Journal of Mormon History 1 (Jan. 2015): 198-216 [See Ryan T.?s overview here].
Article Award of Excellence:
- Gerrit Dirkmaat and LaJean Purcell Carruth, “The Prophets Have Spoken, but What Did They Say? Examining the Differences between George D. Watt?s Original Shorthand Notes and the Sermons Published in the Journal of Discourses.? BYU Studies4 (2015): 25-118.
Best International Article Award:
- Barbara Jones Brown, ?Manifestos, Mixed Messages, and Mexico: the Demise of ?Mainstream? Mormon Polygamy.?? The Persistence of Polygamy, Vol. 3: Fundamentalist Mormon Polygamy from 1890 to the Present. Newell Bringhurst and Craig Foster. John Whitmer Books, 2015. 23-57.
Best Article in Mormon Women?s History:
- Brent Rogers, ?The Fascinating Life of Vienna Jaques.? Mormon Historical Studies1 (Spring 2015): 148-179.
Unpublished Graduate Paper:
- Joseph Stuart, ?Our Religion is Not Hostile to Real Science: Evolution, Eugenics, and Race/Religion Making in Mormonism?s First Century.?
- Scott Marianno, ?They Belong as Citizens: Race and Marriage in Utah, 1880-1920? (master?s thesis, Utah State University, 2015).
- Nathaniel Hamilton Wiewora, ??Punishment for the Sins of Christendom😕 The Antebellum Evangelical Reaction to Mormonism? (PhD Dissertation, University of Delaware, 2015).
Congratulations to all of the winners!