Most notably, the LDS Church released three essays on the practice of polygamy during the Nauvoo, Utah, and post-Manifesto eras. if you have questions about polygamy that were not answered in any of the essays, SUBMIT THEM HERE.
Despite the click-baity title, The New Republic had a great article on Mormon genealogy, particularly as it relates to LDS theology. Here’s a snippet:
- “The church?s most ambitious project is its online tree. Anyone who logs in to Family Search may record and research his or her family history there, but what distinguishes this tree from all the other online services is that the church is trying to connect all the branches, using its massive records and the activities of users to build a big tree of all of humanity. “
The Scientific American looks at how different religions would react to the discovery of extraterrestrial life, and whether Jesus would offer them salvation.
- “There?s no doubt that the Mormons are comfortable about the idea that there are others on other worlds. They?d be unhappy if we didn?t find anybody. But they?d just say we haven?t looked hard enough.”
NPR had a 4 minute clip on Mormon Teens re-enacting the Martin-Willey Handcart Disaster. Along with the clip, be sure to look back at Tona’s post on the LDS “Trek” as performed by modern Mormon youth.
An LDS Information Officer released demographic information on the composition of the global LDS Church.
He shared slides to show that if the world were a ward of 100 people:
- 48 of those people would live in the United States or Canada
- 36 of those people would live in Latin America
- three would live in Europe
- three would live in Africa
- three would live in Oceania
- seven would live in Asia
Laurie Maffly-Kipp went on the Hold That Thought podcast to discuss how Mormonism and politics have “intertwined throughout American history.” This almost certainly figures into her current book project.
The LDS Church released a video with photos of LDS garments and temple garb in the context of religious clothing. The Atlantic had an article on the tie between the fascination with Mormon sex and Mormon underwear.